Sunday 7 July 2013

Is Short Film Dead?

Whilst conducting my inital research into short films, I discovered an article on the website NoFilmSchool.com written by a guest author who states a 'large part of his career is based in film schools and universities, but above all else he is a teacher'. In his article he argues that short film is not something that can be presented in its own right - so as a whole movie in itself. He states that

There are two ways of looking at how a Short Film serves the emerging and aspiring filmmaker.The first is as a Learning Exercise, the second is as a Calling Card. The short film seeks to be a learning experience by providing a paradigm for engagement in film production within viable financial and resource constrains. Simply put, the short film allows you to gain experience without the overhead. Similarly, as a calling card the short film aims to serve as a demonstration of the filmmaker’s abilities. It has the express purpose of convincing financiers and funding bodies of the filmmaker’s worthiness of trust to make a longer project. The theory is that a good short film is a large flag to wave in the air saying “this is what I can do in 10 minutes of screen time and no money, just imagine what I could do with 100 minutes and a ton of cash!”
his views really made me begin to think about short films as a whole and how they are portrayed in the media. As far as I agree with what he is saying, I do not feel as though short films should be discarded as a movie to entertain or inform etc. Yet the point he makes, I feel, is very true. I think a short film is a very good way to start giving amateur film makers a feel as to what it is like to make a movie and improve on their knowledge of camera, editing, sound and mise-en-scene and how they portray their meaning through these mediums. When panning and making my short film, I can take into account of these points and help by applying them to my film.

Link to Article: 

No comments:

Post a Comment