Monday 16 September 2013

Camera Tricks

When I am making my short film, I will need to ensure that my film is produced to a professional standard. To make this happen, there a number of different sources where I will be able to find out little camera tips and tricks.
Firstly, I looked on Youtube and found this video about how to get a smooth pan. From my AS project, I discovered that panning and making sure it is smooth is an extremely hard job. This easy rubber band trick should help me get some smooth pans.

  

I also found some very good websites ( La Video Film Maker & Steve's Digicam) which have some very good tips for beginner film makers. In summary, they both state that being able to control the amount of light in a shot is vital. Being able to play with the light allows you to easily create the correct mood and meaning. Also, it seems obvious, but making sure that the shot is steady and the focus is pulled into the right place - as changing the focus of a scene can completely change the dynamics of it. Zooming is another issue in which they say it should not used in excess otherwise it will look superficial. As in Ridely Scott's 'Hannibal', a tilt and zoom technique is applied. From a low angle it magnifies a character to make them appear striking.

As the budget for my film is going to be extremely low, if I want to effectively change the focus of my shot, then this video offers a cheap alternative to professional pulling gear.

This video is aimed more at editing, however the tips in it are extremely interesting and clever



No comments:

Post a Comment